Helping spread the good news of uses.tech and sharing the things I use.
This page covers what technologies I'm currently using, what I use for this site, and some products I really enjoy. I hope this helps others to share their own "Uses" and personal preferences.
Now in no particular order...
- NuxtJS - This is a JAMStack site using Nuxt's generate tool. I am a big fan of Nuxt & Vue and enjoy the toolset that Nuxt enables for quickly prototyping and building sites. I use Nuxt in my day job as well.
- I'm using a number of Nuxt plugins for this site: nuxt-responsive-loader for images, @nuxt/content for blogs & this page, and @nuxtjs/sitemap + @nuxtjs/robots for SEO.
- I'm a CSS masochist, all styles I've written myself.
- I host this site on GitHub Pages
Software & Tools
- I host sites and projects on a number of services, but notably:
- The majority of my notes and planning are done using Notion. I purchased a year of service a week before they bumped up their free tier, and kinda went all in on it.
- For taking notes where I want a dedicated Markdown editor, I use Typora.
- When I need to minify and bundle code, I always use Parceljs. I don't hate myself enough to write webpack configs from scratch, we have parcel.
- I prefer to prototype things using VSCode & the Live Server plugin. Being able to create an html doc and quickly visualize my thoughts is so lovely.
- I use a 2020 13" MacBook Pro 2.3Ghz Quad-core Intel Core i7 w/ 16gb of RAM.
- I'm obsessed with my Logitech MX Ergo thumb-ball mouse. I've exclusively used this type of mouse for the last 4-5 years, and wouldn't have it any other way.
- If you're interested in trying one of these, I suggest getting the one with the blue ball.
- My favorite cheap wireless keyboard
- Here's a picture of my quirky setup (I love Seattle).
- My headphones of choice are the Sennheiser PXC 550-II Wireless. Think "those cliché business class Bose headphones", but more afforable.
- I owe my intro into Audiophileland to my Glow Amp One tube amplifier.
- I take pictures sometimes on my Panasonic G7 mirrorless camera
Random other things
- Baboontothemoon 22L Backpack
- I recently invested in some bombas socks. Think TOMS, but socks, and they're great.
- I wear a FlipBelt when I run to hold my phone and keys and stuff. I like it, it's pretty great.
I love to cook and experiment in the kitchen. Here are some tools and appliances I really can't live without.
- I've exclusively used this induction cooktop for the last 3 years with these pots and pans. I really enjoy cooking with induction, and is a massive step up from crappy apartment electric stoves.
- Get a sous vide. I use the Joule, but they're all great.
- My current hobby is pickling & lacto-fermentation. I just got one of these E-jen Kimchi, Sauerkraut Container that can be used for anything.
- Most of my kitchen tools and gadgets are from IKEA.